How Many Times love is Mentioned in BiBLE?
- How Many Times love is Mentioned in BiBLE?
How many types of love are there, according to the Bible?
admin, Last Updated Sep 07, 2019
“Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law."
Love is the word the meaning of which we have been seeking from the eve of human civilization. Love is the most sought after human emotion the definition of which widely varies from human to human, from relationship to relationship and from generation to generation. There are different layers of human emotions and love in itself cannot be defined in a single phrase or statement. The holy Bible supports this idea and defines four kinds of love:
- Storge – the feeling of empathy which runs down genetically or family oriented love.
- Philia – the bonding towards a friend or brotherly love.
- Eros – the strong romantic feeling for your spouse.
- Agape – the unconditional devotion for one supreme power, God.
St. John stated that ‘God is love’ and if this idea that God and love are synonymous, is accepted, we need to look for God in us before we turn to the outer world. Now, let us turn into the statistics and learn a bit about the existence of ‘love’ in the Bible.
The occurrence of ‘love’ in the Bible:
Research says that the ‘love’ is mentioned several times in Bible. However, it is difficult to state the exact number of its occurrence, as there are different versions of the Holy Book and several translations. Love appears -
- 310 times in the King James Version.
- 131 times in the Old Testament.
- 179 times in the New Testament.
- 348 times in New American Standard Bible.
- 551 times in New International Version.
- 538 times in New Revised Standard Version.
- 57 times in the Gospel of John, more than the Mathew, Mark or Luke gospels.
- 46 times in the First Epistle of John.
- The command ‘love one another’ appears 11 times in the New Testament, including 3 times from Jesus himself and 4 times ‘love each other’ command with Jesus uttering it twice. This is from the New International Version.
- The New King James version mentions the presence of the command ‘love one another’ 5 times.
- The number of appearance of love in different translations of the Bible varies from 514 to 810 times.
An amazing fact is that the English word ‘love’ first made its appearance in the Book of Genesis. This book touches upon different genre of love but not the Godly love. If we go through the verses of Bible, the concept of love that mostly prevails is the love of God for his entire creation. The law of love or the Great Commandment states that –
“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”